PlayStation 4 players everywhere (including me) have been eagerly anticipating Sony’s “Yukimara” update because of the magical feature it’s bringing: The ability to suspend game play and pick up where you left off after putting the console into Rest Mode and waking it up again. The new Suspend/Resume feature means you won’t have to save to stop the action.
Another highly anticipated feature Yukimara (PS4 software version 2.50 if you want to get technical) is bringing is the ability to back up and restore console HDD content to an external USB drive. That means PS4 users will have the ability to back up everything on the system – downloads, data, games, patches, screenshots, and settings.
Previously, you could back up data to USB flash drives and everything else had to be re-downloaded from PlayStation’s servers is you had to perform a factory reset or set up a new console. Spoiler: This is/was never fun. Ever.
The thought of being able to quickly upload your entire system from a mobile SSD is magical.
Other features – not as highly anticipated but just as
cool important appreciated – include the ability to find friends on PSN by searching through their linked Facebook account, fewer steps involved with joining a game friends already have in progress, and the option to share your Trophy info via social media from the Share button menu.
Sony has also added customization options for DualShock 4 button layout, graphics display options, and text-to-speech.
The following features are also new, direct from Sony:
- Remote Play and Share Play — For games that support 60 fps, users will be able to automatically enjoy those games with 60 fps for both Remote Play and Share Play** on supported devices.
- Automatic Installation for System Software Updates — Enable automatic installation for future system software updates.
- Sub-Account Upgrade — Enable users 18 years of age or older with sub-accounts to upgrade to a master account directly on PS4, removing restrictions on chat and enabling users to add funds to their Wallet, purchase content and more.
- Verified Accounts — Select game developers, producers, designers and community managers will be verified with a badge.
- Dailymotion — Upload video clips directly to Dailymotion via the SHARE button.
If you want more information about the update you can check out the latest post from Sony’s Blog here.
Image Credit: Business2Community.com